Dana Point California, June 2nd 2012 – The Hobie/Hennessey’s United States Paddleboard Championships, historically hosted in Redondo Beach for the past 17 years, moved its venue south for 2012 to Doheny State Beach. The multi lap race format challenged racer’s physical stamina, mental tenacity, and board riding skills while also giving the beach a chance to cheer on their favorite paddlers.
The seemingly simple multi lap triangle course was competition packed and spectator intense. Mother Nature added a little south wind for extra flavor and bump. In all creating the perfect triad for some action packed paddle racing
The event format consisted of a 4 mile Fun race, and a 6,8, or 9 mile Pro course that had some of the best paddlers vying for a piece of the prize purse as well as “A Ticket to Cabo” bonus incentive for the money class elite winners toward the Hennessey’s WPA World Championships in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico being held November 3-4 .
The tale of the tape tells the final story, but many of the classes saw head to head battles between paddlers separated by inches for most of the race, only to be decided in the final moments.
- Ryan Helm - 1st Place 14’ SUP – 7.5 Miles
- Brandi Baksic – 1st Place Women’s Stock SUP – 6 Miles
- Fernando Stalla – 1st Place Stock SUP – 6 Miles
- Brand Baksic – 1st Place Women’s Stock SUP – 6 Miles
- Jack Bark – 1st Place Stock Paddleboard – 9 Miles
- George Plsek– 1st Place Unlimited Paddleboard – 9 Miles
- Jared Vargas - 1st Place Unlimited SUP - 9 Miles
Keeping true to Hennessey’s race style, the racing quickly shifted up the street to Hennessey's Tavern
Dana Point for post-race awards and festivities. Racers were welcomed to a huge outdoor BBQ and a monster raffle with prizes from race sponsors.